Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was founded on January 13, 1913 by 22 collegiate women at Howard University. These students wanted to use their collective strength to promote academic excellence and to provide assistance to those in need.
(First Row): Winona Cargile Alexander, Madree Penn White, Wertie Blackwell Weaver, Vashti Turley Murphy, Ethel Cuff Black, Frederica Chase Dodd
(Second Row): Osceola Macarthy Adams, Pauline Oberdorfer Minor, Edna Brown Coleman, Edith Mott Young, Marguerite Young Alexander, Naomi Sewell Richardson, Eliza P. Shippen
(Third Row): Zephyr Chisom Carter, Myra Davis Hemmings, Mamie Reddy Rose, Bertha Pitts Campbell, Florence Letcher Toms, Olive Jones, Jessie McGuire Dent, Jimmie Bugg Middleton, Ethel Carr Watson
For more information, visit our National Website at Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
Lambda Theta Chapter
The Lambda Theta Chapter was chartered at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, AR on March 23, 1974. Delta Sigma Theta was the first Black Greek letter organization at the university. The initiation of Delta Sigma Theta began with twelve charter members: Ruby J. Ezell, Emily E. Gaddie, Dinah G. Gant, Cynthia B. Greer, Overtis L. Hicks, Wilhelmenia Christine Hinton, Alice F. Clay Jumper, Linda Kay Shelby, Rita J. Stitt, Margaret E. Turner, Alycya Wetherspoon, and Anita F. Washington; and two advisors: Harriett W. Richards and Wanda Smith.
The Lambda Theta Chapter is the only NPHC Sorority to have a house on the University of Arkansas Campus.